Since it's just myself and Little Miss eating at home at the moment I'm all for quick, easy and Slimming World friendly recipes; and Diet Coke chicken is one of the easiest to make.
By the time I get home after picking Little Miss up from nursery I have to whip up something fairly quickly. My slow cooker is my lifesaver. I normally chop everything up the night before; throw it in the slow cooker and then store in the fridge over night. The next morning I take it out and cook it on low while I'm at work. So when I come home from work I've just to boil the rice, pasta or vegetables.
There are lost of Diet Coke recipes out there; but here the version I use, adapted to suit Little Miss.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow chopped into chunks
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp. tomato purée
- 8 tbsp. Passata
- 1 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 330ml can diet cola (I used Pepsi Max)
- 200ml chicken stock
- I like to place the whole chicken breasts on top of the chopped vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients on top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
* I remove the chicken before serving, shred and return to the sauce*
Serve with rice or Slimming World chips.