When I was first introduced to the idea of cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker I was a little sceptical; I’ve cooked joints of meat in there before so why wouldn’t I be able to cook a whole chicken?
I’m not the type of person who wants a roast dinner during the week; although I sometimes crave the meat, I just don’t want everything else that comes with it after spending a whole day in the office. Not only do I not have enough hours in the day to cook one during the week; I simply don’t have the inclination.
Cooking the chicken in the slow cooker solved all my problems. The chicken would be cooked my the time I got home, all I have to decide is what I’m having with it, SW chips, salad, pasta; the world is your oyster. The chicken was unbelievably moist and tender. Now I’ve made it in the slow cooker I never roast a chicken again.
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large whole chicken
Cook Time: 4 Hours
Servings: 5-6 servings
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and stuff it with the rosemary, garlic and lemon wedges.
- Place the chicken, breast side down in the slow cooker. You won't need to add any extra liquid.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours, or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone. Remove from the slow cooker and serve.
Once cooked I removed all the skin from the chicken and shredded all the meat; making it Slimming World friendly, I also managed to get three more meals out of the chicken!
Have you tried a slow cooker chicken? What's your favourite slow cooker meal?