Each time I make this midweek meal it's never really the same. I always change what vegetables I put into the sauce; that's the beauty of this dish, you can throw any veg in there that needs using. If you have fussy eaters who don't like vegetables then insurgent you make the Hidden Vegetable pasta sauce and cook the meatballs separately (these can be cooked in the oven).
500g lean minced pork (although any minced meat can be used)
1 large onion, chopped
1 courgette, chopped
1 aubergine, chopped
1 carton of Passata
4 large tomatoes, chopped or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoon of Italian herbs
2 teaspoons of pesto (if you are using pesto then don't forget to Syn, I leave this out)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Add all the chopped vegetables to the slow cooker
- In a separate bowl mix the minced pork and 1 tablespoon of Italian herbs
- Roll out balls of the meat mix ( I tend to make them golf ball sized)
- Add the meatballs to the slow cooker
- Add the salt, pepper and remaining herbs
- Pour over the Passata
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until the meatballs are cooked
If the sauce is too thin for you then thicken with corn flour (this will need to Syn this) or cook for the last hour on high without the lid.
Serve with pasta of your choice.